Meet the Fall 2021 Peer Mentors – Siena Heights University First Year Experience

FYE Peer Mentors 2021

FYE Peer Mentors are undergraduate students who work with FYE Instructors to aid in a students transition to college, create connections in and out of the classroom and provide foundations that will help our first-year students to be successful.  

Peer Mentors serve as role models, while providing guidance and leadership for a group of first-year students in a specified LAS100: First Year Experience section. Peer Mentors are responsible for helping to make their groups’ First Year Experience meaningful, fun, and informational by facilitating intentional conversations in the classroom and positive, social interactions outside of the classroom.

Peer Mentors are required to take a Leadership Course during the Winter semester to learn more about honing their leadership skills and how best to support first-year students.  

Samantha Nowell, LAS 100-AD

Hello! My name is Samantha, I am from Livonia Mi. I am a junior here at Siena with a major in psychology and minor in criminal justice. I am also on the track team where I pole vault. I enjoy spending time up at my lake house and hanging out with friends! I am excited to meet you guys and work with everyone!

Reagan Schmus, LAS 100-AA

I am a senior psychology major minoring in communications and criminal justice. I was part of the soccer team for 2 1/2 years and a recent member of Siena’s chapter of the PSI CHI honors society. I plan on pursuing my master’s in clinical mental health counseling after graduation and hope to be a grief counselor in the future.

Mollie Smith, LAS 100-AH

Hello! My name is Mollie Smith! I am a senior Accounting major here at SHU. I am currently involved in the Accounting club, and I am president of SHU Sharks (an investing club). I am also a member of the Women’s Track & Field team, where I pole vault. I am looking forward to meeting all of you!!

Lyndsey Peña, LAS 100-AI

Hello, my name is Lyndsey Peña! I am a junior from Macomb, Michigan, studying Criminal Justice and Psychology. I am on the softball team and I am also in the Honors Program. I am so excited to meet you all and help you through your first year at Siena!

Lauren Southworth, LAS 100-AN

My name is Lauren Southworth and I am a senior from Okemos, Mi. On campus, I am a nursing major, I work in our admissions office as a student ambassador, and am part of various clubs like Beta Beta Beta, a biological honors society, and SSNA, our Siena nursing club.

Kenadee Marry, LAS 100-AJ

Hi I’m Kenadee Marry! I’m an elementary education minor and a language arts major. I work at a daycare currently and love kids. In my free time I like to spend time at home with my family and out on the lake.

Jalen Cook, LAS 100-AM

Hello! My name is Jalen Cook. I am from Holt MI. My major is Sports Management, I am also apart of the Football team here at Siena Heights! Can’t wait to meet you all in the fall!

Dylan Barron, LAS 100-AG (2021 Peer Leader)

Name is Dylan Barron. Currently a senior finishing up my last semester. Majoring in Communications and minoring in Criminal Justice and Theatre. My hobbies are costume design, watching scary movies, listening to music, being outside. I plan on going for my masters in Higher Education after I get my Bachelors Degree. I work on campus as a HUB worker and Costume Shop worker.

Deven Hill, LAS 100-AK

Hi, my name is Deven Hill and I am in my second year at Siena. Before Siena Heights, I attended a Junior College where I was able to gather knowledge in a variety of realms that I think will help me in this role. Outside of school, I enjoy playing baseball (I play here at Siena), working out, and being with my friends. I am super excited for this new opportunity!

Alexia Ferguson, LAS 100-AE (2021 Peer Leader)

Hiya, I am Alexia Ferguson! I am a senior majoring global studies and minoring in political science. This is my third year being a part of O-team. Outside of being a peer mentor, I am a member of the cheer team, a part of the Honors, SSS, and McNair program, and I am a manager at the Buzz Cafe downtown. I also studied abroad in the UK in the Spring of 2020! I am open to answering questions about everything I am involved in or just a simple conversation about life. I love reading, doing pageants, traveling, and advocating for people. This year I hope to have fun and enjoy life!

Mercedes Starr, LAS 100-AC

Espie DeRoche, LAS 100-AL

My name is Espie DeRoche. I’m from Marquette, Michigan which is located in the Upper Peninsula. I’m a senior at Siena Heights University, majoring in Social Work and minoring in Psychology. I plan to further my education by achieving a Master’s degree in Clinical Social Work.

Kaylee Scudder, LAS 100H-AA

My name is Kaylee Scudder, and I am enrolled in the nursing program here at Siena Heights. I have commuted all three years that I have attended Siena. I am also a tutor on campus for nursing and Student Support Services.

George Talley, LAS 100-AF

Hi! My name is George Talley III and I am a junior. I went to high school at Center Line Michigan and I play football.