DE : Q & A

Below are common questions asked about the Dual Enrollment process at Siena Heights University:

How do I apply?

The Siena Heights University Undergraduate Dual Enrollment Application is used to process your guest student status with the University. This application allows SHU officials to register you for Siena classes.

Who has to sign the dual enrollment application?

The student, the legal guardian, and the high school official (counselor or principal).

What if I am home-schooled?

If the parent/legal guardian signs off as the counselor/principal, and are willing to pay the cost of tuition, fees, and books associated to the SHU class(es), home-schooled students are welcome to take SHU courses as a dual enrolled student.

What classes should I take?

Consider looking at entry-level courses: ENG101, ENG102, PSY111, MAT102–these courses are typically part of the core courses at most universities/colleges. If you are a first-time college student, it is strongly recommended you select a 100-level SHU course.

If you have a particular major you are looking to complete in college, feel free to consult the Dual Enrollment Coordinator for assistance in selecting a course that will benefit you.

Who pays?

The student’s high school official will help you determine payee information. For more information on the State of Michigan guidelines, please visit the Michigan Department of Education Dual Enrollment webpage.

Will I earn college credit for the class(es) I take at SHU?

Yes and no. Completing SHU academic courses means the student will have a permanent college transcript with Siena Heights University. Any classes taken at Siena will appear on the official transcript–along with the credits, grades earned, and overall cumulative GPA.

Hours successfully completed includes all credit hours attached to a course grades of A, B, C, D, and CR. Hours attempted include those successfully completed, as well as those attached to courses in which grades of E, I, IP, NC, W, and WE are assigned.

Will my SHU credits transfer to other colleges and universities?

The transferability of your SHU coursework is dependent on the institution you are looking to transfer the work to. Institutions have differing policies regarding various program requirements. Overall, a 2.0 grade or higher generally transfers–if not as a direct equivalency, then perhaps as a general elective credit. It is always in the student’s best interest to speak to an official representative of the school in which they are looking to attend.

Feel free to utilize the Michigan Transfer Network for more information of direct equivalencies for your SHU courses to other institutions of higher education.

What if I want out of the class?

Dual enrolled students are expected to adhere to the SHU’s official policies regarding deadlines for dropping or withdrawing from a course. If a student decides they no longer wish to take the SHU course during the “drop” time period, the student should contact

Visit our academic catalog for further information on Add, Drop, and Withdrawal policies and instructions.

How do I get my official transcript from Siena?

Students can request their official SHU transcript by completing the transcript request form or ordering their electronic transcript through Your official transcripts are processed through the SHU’s Registrar’s Office.