Assumption of Risk and Waiver of Liability Relating to Coronavirus/COVID-19
The novel coronavirus, (“COVID-19”) has been declared a worldwide pandemic by the World Health Organization. COVID-19 is contagious and is believed to spread mainly from person-to-person contact. As a result, federal, state, and local governments and federal and state health agencies recommend social distancing and have, in many locations, prohibited the congregation of large groups of people.
All members of the Siena Heights University (the “University”) community, including its students, faculty, and staff, have an important role to play in keeping fellow students and the community safe by doing their part to stop the spread of COVID-19. As a University student, I know that I must take steps to stay well to protect others and promote a safe campus environment for all. Because of this, I will take responsibility for my own health and help stop the spread of COVID-19.
Although the University has put in place preventative measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19, it cannot guarantee that you will not become infected with COVID-19. You can learn more about the University’s preventative measures here.
The University’s highest priority is the safety of its students, faculty, staff, and visitors. I know that by engaging in campus activities, including attending classes, living on campus, eating in the dining halls, and attending activities, I may be exposed to COVID-19 and other infections. I also understand that despite all reasonable efforts by the University, I can still contract COVID-19 and other infections. In order to reduce my risk, I agree to be an active participant in maintaining my own health, wellbeing and safety, as well as the safety of others, by following all the guidelines and expectations by the University.
As more information is gathered and known, I understand that the University may modify these guidelines and expectations. It is my responsibility to make every effort to keep myself apprised of these changes to protect myself and the other members of our community.
It is in my best interest to protect myself, my peers, and the University community by doing the following:
- Agree to testing for COVID-19 and potential subsequent self-quarantining if I am identified as a contact of anyone who has been determined to be positive for COVID-19.
- If I test positive for COVID-19, I agree to self-quarantine in a designated location until:
- My symptoms have resolved, and
- It has been at least ten days since the start of my symptoms, and
- I have a negative COVID-19 test result.
- Monitor for the following symptoms:
- A fever of 100.4°F or higher,
- Respiratory symptoms, such as dry cough or shortness of breath,
- Sore throat,
- Body aches,
- Loss of taste or smell.
- If I develop any of the above symptoms, I will immediately contact Siena Heights University Health Services, and follow the medical staff’s instructions which may include being tested for COVID-19 and self-quarantining while the test results are pending, and/or being evaluated.
- Stay at home if I am feeling sick.
- Get a flu vaccination (recommended, but not required).
- Wear a face covering or the appropriate personal protection equipment in all public spaces.
- Practice physical distancing as much as possible.
- Frequently wash and/or sanitize my hands.
- Keep my personal space, shared common space, and my belongings clean.
- Follow additional health and safety measures put forth by University officials specific to certain curricular and co-curricular involvement. This includes, but is not limited to, athletics, internships, and living on campus.
I understand COVID-19 is a highly contagious virus and it is possible to develop and contract the COVID-19 disease even if I follow all of the safety precautions above and those recommended by the Center for Disease Control (“CDC”), local health department, and others. I understand that although the University is following the coronavirus guidelines issued by the CDC and other experts to reduce the spread of infection, I can never be completely shielded from all risk of illness caused by COVID-19 or other infections.
I have read, understand, and agree to comply with the information above. I also acknowledge that these guidelines are a condition of my attendance at the University and that I have signed this document freely. I understand if I do not comply with the University’s guidelines, I may be subject to disciplinary measures up to and including suspension or dismissal from the University.
I agree to hold the University harmless from all claims, including attorney’s fees or damage to my personal property, that may occur as a result of my attendance at the University. If the University incurs any of these types of expenses, I agree to reimburse the University. If I need medical treatment, I agree to be financially responsible for any costs incurred because of such treatment. I understand if I leave the University due to COVID-19, I will not be eligible for any refunds outside of the University’s published tuition and room and board refund policies. I am aware and understand that I am required by the University to have my own health insurance.
I am 18 years or older. I understand the legal consequences of signing this document, including (a) releasing the University from all liability, (b) promising not to sue the University, (c) and assuming all risks of attending the University.
I understand that this document is written to be as broad and inclusive as legally permitted by the State of Michigan. I agree that if any portion is held invalid or unenforceable, I will continue to be bound by the remaining terms.
I have read this document, and I am signing it freely. No other representations concerning the legal effect of this document have been made to me.
If Student Is under 18 Years of Age:
I am the parent or legal guardian of the Student attending Siena Heights University. I understand the legal consequences of signing this document, including (a) releasing the University from all liability on my and the Student’s behalf, (b) promising not to sue on my and the Student’s behalf, (c) and assuming all risks of the Student’s attendance at the University. I understand that I am responsible for the obligations and acts of Student as described in this document. I agree to be bound by the terms of this document.
I have read this three-page document, and I am signing it freely. No other representations concerning the legal effect of this document have been made to me.
* Required Fields.