To reduce the chance that Siena login accounts will be compromised, Information Technology is implementing a recommendation of its security consultants to move all Siena login accounts to make use of Pass Phrases instead of Passwords. Pass Phrases contain more characters, a minimum of 12, but are easier to remember while being more difficult to compromise.
For example, a good Pass Phrase might be “Joy 2 the World!,” or maybe a one liner from a favorite movie. As demonstrated, spaces are permitted within the Pass Phrase. The Pass Phrase must contain at least one upper and/or lower case character, a number and a special character.
By making your account more secure, IT is able to extend the active time for the Pass Phrase from 90 days to 180 days!
Here is the schedule for moving to Pass Phrases:
- Starting April 26: Faculty and staff will be asked to change to a Pass Phrase upon login. Please note: Those using the VPN (Global Protect) must log into MySiena or here to set a Pass Phrase.
- Starting June 1: Students will be asked to change to a Pass Phrase upon login. Please note: Those using the VPN (Global Protect) must log into MySiena or here to set a Pass Phrase.
- Final note: Don’t forget to update smartphones with a new Pass Phrase.
Good Pass Phrase Examples
- Joy to the world!
- I like my job!!
- Lockpicking Lawyer 123
- Beethoven was a genius!
Pass Phrases without spaces
Bad Pass Phrases
- Go Siena Heights!
- Siena Heights University 1919
- Anything with personal information
While students will not be forced to change their passwords into a passphrase until June 1, any new passwords set after April 26 will be required to be at least 12 characters in length.